Important notice to PIO Card holders residing in Colombia and Ecuador
- Last Updated on Friday, 13 May 2016 10:05
Guidelines to change PIO for OCI (Click here)
The Scheme of PIO Card has been discontinued. All PIO card valid as on 09.01.2015 are deemed OCI and are valid for travel to India. However, all holders of PIO Card valid as on 09.01.2015 presently residing in Colombia and Ecuador are informed to register to become OCI card holder well before 30.09.2015. Registration for OCI is an online process. Only after complete successful registration, an applicant will be considered for registration as OCI. Application complete in all respects should be submitted to the Embassy of India, Bogota along with valid PIO Card. For registration as OCI, please visit the link www.ociindia.nic.in.
How to apply for OCI if you have a PIO card
The following points may be noted carefully for registration. Read Instructions carefully before starting the registration process.
- Go to www.ociindia.nic.in and click on New OCI-Registration.
- After this a new window will open at http://passport.gov.in/oci/, and choose the option Click Here to Proceed button.
- On the window http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome please choose the option OCI Registration (In Lieu of Valid PIO-Card).
- Fill in all details required without leaving any column blank. Place of submission for OCI-Applications (In Lieu of PIO-Card) should be the same as the Place of Issuance of PIO-Card. Provide Valid PIO-Card details at the place specified. PIO-Card should be valid as on 9th Jan 2015.
- Complete Part-B of the registration process.
- Documents to be enclosed along with application are given at the end of Part-B.
- Completed application is to be submitted to the Embassy of India, Bogota.
- No registration-fee will be charged for such applications. However, Fax charge or DHL charges, as applicable, will be levied on the applicant.
OCI card is a smart card and it facilitates quicker immigration clearance and various consular services from Indian Missions abroad. OCI card holders are entitled the following benefits:
- A multiple entry, multi-purpose lifelong U Visa for visiting India.
- No separate Student/Employment/Business visa will be required for admission in colleges/institutions or for taking up Employment, Business etc. in India.
- Special counters for speedy immigration clearance at designated immigration check posts.
- Exemption from registration with local police authorities for any length of stay in India.
- Parity with Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in economic, financial and educational fields except for acquisition of agricultural land or plantation.
- OCI card can be used as proof of identity for applying PAN Card, Driving Licence and for opening regular bank account in India, if the OCI card holder resides in India.