OVERSEAS CITIZENSHIP OF INDIA (OCI) SCHEME
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 19 April 2017 14:53
IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: Persons registered as OCI are not Indian Citizens. This is a new category created under this statute with certain restricted rights as compared to Indian citizens. The benefits of seeking OCI status are available on Ministry of Home Affair's website www.mha.nic.in. It is further clarified that the provision applying to PIOs of only those countries that allow dual citizenship in one form or other under their local laws, was kept primarily to ensure that they do not lose any of the rights conferred under the foreign law for being registered as OCI
For online registration for OCI please go to: http://passport.gov.in/oci/
1. Registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)– Eligibility :
A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26 th January 1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15 th August 1947 and his/her children and grand children are eligible for registration as OCI. However, if the applicant had ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI. A person who may have been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, and is married to a person eligible for registration as OCI is not eligible for grant of OCI. However, their children are eligible as OCI. An OCI Registration Card will be issued by the Indian Missions/Posts abroad after scrutinizing the application and deciding eligibility. Application forms and procedure are available on website www.mha.nic.in under the heading ‘Foreigners Division – Dual Citizenship'.
NOTE: Minors whose both parents are Indian are not eligible for OCI
2. UNIVERSAL VISA :
Indian Missions/Posts abroad can grant ‘Universal Visa' subject to conditions laid down from time to time to persons registered as Overseas Citizen of India( OCI): Main features of these instructions and conditions are given below:
(i). The validity of the visa will be for the duration of the holder's life. This visa will have multiple entry facility.
(ii). Overseas Citizens of India holding Universal Visa:
- Are exempted from registration with the concerned local Foreign Regional Registration Officer/Foreigners Registration Office irrespective of duration of stay in India.
- Require no separate ‘Tourist' Visa for visiting India.
- Require no separate ‘Student', ‘Employment' ‘Business' visa for admission in colleges/institutions or for taking up employment, business etc.
(iii) The Universal Visa may be revoked/cancelled without prejudice to other legal actions if the registration as OCI is cancelled under the relevant provisions of the Citizenship Act,1955.
(iv) The grant of Universal Visa does not entitle the visa holder to visit a restricted/protected area in India. Visits to such areas shall continue to be governed by the instructions in this regard issued from time to time by the Government of India.
- The Universal Visa does not entitle the visa holder to undertake any missionary work, mountaineering and research work, without the prior permission of the Government of India in accordance with instructions issued from time to time.
(vi) Processing time of application for Universal Visa is minimum four weeks.
Fill out OCI application form:
- http://passport.gov.in/oci/ (Click in OCI-Registration)
- http://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome (Click in Here to Proceed)
- http://passport.gov.in/oci/capchaAction (Click in New OCI-Registration)
- Answer the question, then Enter
- Once you finish please print the OCI form, paste your photo and sign in the required spaces. Note: If you are going to issue OCI in lieu of valid PIO –Card. Please read the instruction in the enclosed document.
- Print the application and thumb impression
- Bring proof of Indian relation (Copy of Husband/wife/ Father/Mother passport, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate) all of these documents self attested.
- Proof of residency in Colombia or Ecuador (Bill of any public service of your residence on your name)
- Original Applicant’s passport
- Three (3) photographs 5cm x 5cm
- In case of Spouse of Indian national. Provide notarized letter indicating that in case of separation, divorce or death of Indian Spouse, the OCI holder must submit the OCI to the Indian Embassy.
- Marriage Certificate
- For Minor Birth Certificate (self attested by parents)
- Copy of parent’s passports
Send all these requirements to Indian Embassy Calle 116 # 7-15, Torre Cusezar, Oficina 301, Código Postal: 110111287, Bogotá, Colombia
Payments in Colombia:
- Deposited slip (OCI$910.000 + DHL$15.000)
- Bank Info: Titular: Embajada De la India
- Número de Cuenta: NO. 007-396-807
- Tipo de Cuenta: Cuenta Corriente
- Payment of DHL is optional
Payments in Ecuador:
- Payment by Banking Transfer for USD$ 278
- Account Number USD: 1516
- Beneficiary Embajada India in Bogota
- Beneficiary Address Calle 116 no 7-15 of 301. Bogotá, Colombia
- Name of Beneficiary Bank in Colombia Helm Bank (part of Corpbanca Bank)
- Beneficiary Bank Address Carrera 7 No. 27-18, Bogota Colombia
- Swift Code Beneficiary Bank in Colombia: BCTOCOBB
- Intermediate Bank: Citibank, New York
- Swift Code Intermediate Bank: CITIUS33
- ABA 02100008
- DHL payment for Ecuador is optional USD$50 (Made also by bank transfer)
Note: All interbank and commission fees must be covered by the Applicants, which are usually from USD$20 to USD$50
Note2: Please remember that the addresses in the application form SHOULD BE THE SAME as the address provided as proof of residency and the address that appears in the Indian Passport.